I was becoming a bit bored of granola for breakfast so I decided to make granola bars instead (basically the same thing, but with added chocolate and more sugar – how very nutritious). They’re basically a fruit and nut flapjack laced with salted dark chocolate, coconut and golden syrup. I mean, what’s not to like? To be honest, they’re nowhere near as calorific as they could be, but even if they were, who cares? It’s six weeks until Christmas and there’s not a bikini in sight. So dig out the elasticated trousers and stock up on Tums because the build up to Christmas has officially started, with elevenses.
Salted Chocolate Granola Bars
Makes 10-12 bars/ Takes 15 mins prep 20 mins to bake / V
150g mixed nuts and dried fruit (I used Sainsbury’s SO Organic Fruit & Nut Mix)
4 Tbs desiccated coconut
20g mixed seeds
30g Rice Krispies
70g Salted dark chocolate (I used Lindt Excellence Dark Chocolate & Sea Salt. If you can’t get this, then simple use good quality dark chocolate and add a good pinch of salt to the mix).
50g caster sugar
100g Golden syrup
75g Unsalted butter
1. Preheat your oven to 160°C/140°C/gas mark 3.
2. In a large bowl, combine the coconut, mixed seeds, oats and the Rice Krispies, mixed nuts and dried fruit (I like to keep my nuts whole but if you prefer smaller piece then roughly chop them before adding them to the mix). Roughly chop the chocolate and add the to the dry mixture. Give it a good stir and put it to one side.
3. In a small saucepan on a low heat, melt the sugar, butter and golden syrup together. Once melted, pour over the dry mixture and give it a good stir until the dry mixture is evenly coated.
4. Grease a large baking dish with butter and pour in the mixture. Spread to the edges and pat down firmly with the back of a spoon. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
5. Once cooked, leave to cool fully in the dish before turning out and cutting into bars.
If you’ve had a go at making my granola bars or any of my other recipes, I’d love to hear about it @corrieheale firstname.lastname@example.org