Now, it has to be said, I’m not a huge fan of cauliflower. This can be problematic – especially these days, as it seems to have become the go-to vegetarian dish in most restaurants. Whole-roasted, salt-baked, deep-fried, curried, pickled, pureed, battered and sliced into steaks, cauliflower is thrust upon my plate at any given moment. So, allow me to thrust my bang-bang cauliflower bites onto yours and see how you like it – I like it very much.
Bang bang cauliflower bites
Serves 2 as a starter or makes 1 tray of canapés / hands on time 15 mins / total time 45 mins / V Vn Df 🌶🌶
You’ll need: Non-stick baking tray and cocktail sticks (if serving as canapés)
1 medium cauliflower, cut into florets (roughly 550g)
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 tbs sweet chilli sauce
1 ½ tsp Sriracha + extra for serving
Juice of ½ a lime
½ tsp sea salt flakes
2 handfuls panko breadcrumbs
½ tsp smoked paprika
Small handful of fresh coriander to serve (optional)
1. Preheat an oven to 220°C/200°C fan/425°F/gas mark 7. Prepare the cauliflower by removing the leaves and the stalk (cauliflower leaves are delicious and great in a stir fry, so don’t feel you need to bin them). Pull apart the florets and chop the larger florets in half or into smaller bitesize pieces.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, chilli sauce, Sriracha and the juice of half a lime until combined. Add the cauliflower florets and stir until well coated.
3. On a large plate, add panko breadcrumbs and sprinkle with smoked paprika. Give it a stir before spooning over half the coated florets. Turn the cauliflower over in the breadcrumbs until each is well coated and place on a non-stick baking tray or a tray lined with baking paper. Repeat this process with the remaining cauliflower and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
4. Serve immediately sprinkled with freshly chopped coriander and a small bowl of Sriracha for dipping.
5. If you’re making canapés, skew each floret with a cocktail stick and serve along side a dipping bowl of Sriracha for your guests to enjoy.
If you’ve had a go at making any of my recipes, I’d love to hear from you. Follow me now @corrieheale and tag your recipe pictures using #corriesrabbitfood.
V– Vegetarian Vn– Vegan Df– Dairy free 🌶🌶 – Medium hot