This May has been particularly wet, blustery and cold. So let’s save the summer salads for better weather and cook up a big hearty batch of my creamy tomato and coconut dhal with cavolo nero. This vegan one-pot wonder can be easily doubled and teamed with rice, naan and chutney for the perfect Friday night fake-away. Summer will just have to wait.
Tomato and coconut dhal with cavolo nero
Serves 2 or 4 with rice / Hands on time 15 min / Total time 40 mins / V Vn Gf Df ❄
1 tbs garlic oil
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp chilli flakes
1 tbs tomato purée
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 can full-fat coconut milk
1 can green lentils (rinsed and drained)
½ tsp gluten free bouillon or half stock cube
2 large handfuls chopped cavolo nero or kale
Brown basmati rice (50g per person)
Handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Brown toasted pita bread (optional)
Mango chutney (optional)
TIP: Don’t have garlic oil? Simply use whatever cooking oil you have and add 2 peeled and chopped garlic cloves. Allow to infuse in the oil over a medium heat for a couple of minutes before adding the spices.
TIP: This recipe is easily doubled so stock up your freezer with this healthy batch cook.
1. In a large pot of saucepan, heat the garlic oil over a medium heat until warmed through. Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, garam masala, chilli flakes and the salt until you heat them fizzing. Cook for 2 minutes before adding the tomato purée along with a dash of water (this helps loosen the paste) and cook for a further 2 mins.
2. Rinse and drain the green lentils and add to the pan along with the tin of coconut milk and tinned chopped tomatoes. Sprinkle over the bouillon or the stock cube and stir well until fully incorporated. Bring to the boil.
3. Simmer uncovered for 20 mins stirring occasionally. If serving with rice, now is a good time to get it on.
4. After 20 mins the dhal should be thick and glossy. Take off the heat and stir in the cavolo nero and cover with a lid for 4-5 mins.
5. Serve topped with chopped fresh coriander with either rice, toasted pita bread or naan and a goof dollop of mango chutney.
If you’ve had a go at making any of my recipes, I’d love to hear from you. Follow me now @corrieheale and tag your recipe pictures using #corriesrabbitfood.
V – Vegetarian Vn – Vegan Gf – Gluten free Df – Dairy free
To freeze, omit the cavolo nero and cool fully before freezing. Consume within 3 months