Here’s another one for that barbecue – she says as it pisses down with rain outside. Well, it wouldn’t be a true British barbecue without lashings of rain and lashings of coleslaw, right? Also, have you ever eaten raw broccoli on purpose? It’s actually rather nice so bog off cabbage, there’s a new guy in town and he has a big bushy head and looks a bit like Screech from Saved by the Bell– think he’s in prison now… Anyhoo, let’s rock out with our brocs out (see what I did there) and try my light zesty broccoli slaw with red onion and flaked almonds.
Broccoli slaw with flaked almonds
Serves 6 as a side dish / Hands on time 15 mins / Total time 15 mins / V Gf
1 head of broccoli (around 450g)
150g Greek yogurt
1 tbs Pomora extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, bashed
½ red onion, peeled and finely sliced
Juice of ½ a lemon
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
2 small handfuls flaked almonds
Pinch chilli flakes
Smoked paprika to serve
Extra virgin olive oil to serve
1. Prepare the broccoli by cutting it into bite-sized florets and discarding the chunky stalk. Pop in a large bowl with the finely sliced red onion and put to one side.
2. In a small frying pan, over a medium heat, infuse the bashed garlic clove in a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil until it starts to sizzle slightly – be careful not to fry it, you just want to infuse the oil with the garlic. Take off the heat, discard the garlic clove and put the oil to one side.
3. In a smaller bowl, whisk the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, cider vinegar, dijon mustard and warm garlic oil together until combined. Season well with salt and pepper before pouring over the raw broccoli.
4. Mix together along with a couple of handfuls of flaked almonds – feel free to toast the almonds if you have time, although I didn’t.
5. Pour into a bowl and season again with salt and pepper before dusting the top with smoked paprika. Finish with a good drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and serve as part of a buffet or as a side dish.
If you’ve had a go at making any of my recipes, I’d love to hear from you. Follow me now @corrieheale and tag your recipe pictures using #corriesrabbitfood.
V – Vegetarian Gf – Gluten free