I know I should be spending my Sunday writing up this week’s blog, but I’ve fallen into a Backstreet Boys hole and now I can’t climb out of it. I went to see them last week and it has ignited my teenage obsession. I literally can’t stop Wikipedia-ing, YouTubing, Googling and general ogling my ’90s teenage obsession. After two hours of back-to-back hits and two pints of cheap wine (yes, pints), I was transported back to my 16-year-old self’s bedroom, where my Purple Ronnie wallpaper and blow-up chairs witnessed some truly shocking choreography. Without warning, I busted into my old dance routines in the O2 Arena – much to the horror of my male companion and those around me. I waved my arms, thrust my hips and flicked my hair like a deranged Britney Spears tribute act – I don’t get out much.
That being said, I had a blast and have been writing ‘I heart BSB’ on my pencil case ever since – I’m freelance now, thus the need to carry stationary around with me at all times.
Anyhoo, enough about my youth, let’s all just go away and download the Backstreet’s Back album and listen to it as we slice up some fat tofu steaks and whip up my version of this Japanese classic.
Teriyaki tofu steaks with broccoli **new & improved recipe**
Serves 2 / Hands on time 10 mins / Total time 40 mins / V Df
You’ll need: 20cm oven-proof dish
280g firm tofu, drained
200g tender-stem broccoli
4 whole spring onions, outer layer removed and ends trimmed
Black sesame seeds to serve (optional)
Serve with rice or noodles
For the marinade
2 tbs light soy sauce
1 tbs sweet chilli sauce
1 tbs maple syrup
1 tbs mirin
1 tsp sesame oil
1 garlic cloves, crushed
1 knob of ginger, grated
1. Pre-heat an oven to 220°C/200°C fan/425°F/gas mark 7.
2. Drain the tofu and cut into thick steaks and place in the oven-proof dish before putting to one side.
3. In a bowl, combine the marinade ingredients together and pour evenly over the tofu steaks. Bake in an oven for 25-30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, use this time to cook the rice or noodles. Steam the broccoli and the spring onions together 10 mins before the tofu is due to come out.
5. Remove the tofu from the oven, lift the steaks out and place on top either rice or noodles and drizzle with the remaining juices. Serve with the steamed greens and a sprinkling of black sesame seeds.
If you’ve had a go at making any of my recipes, I’d love to hear from you. Follow me now @corrieheale and tag your recipe pictures using #corriesrabbitfood.
V – Vegetarian Df – Dairy free