Let’s have one last hurrah before bikini season and pour some salty chocolateyness down our throats. Actually, if you can pour the mousse, then you’ve probably made it incorrectly. The mousse should be nicely aerated and set – perfect for plunging your face and/or spoons into. Personally, I prefer face, but whatever floats your boat.
Salted chocolate mousse with olive oil
Serves 4 / Hands on time 20 mins / Total time 20 mins + chilling / V Gf
You’ll need: A standing mixer with a balloon whisk attachment and an electric hand whisk
150g *Green & Black’s Organic 70% dark chocolate
4 large eggs, separated
80g caster sugar
80ml Pomora extra virgin olive oil
1 tbs brandy
Good pinch of sea salt flakes
1. Start by separating the egg yolks from the whites into two separate bowls.
2. Break your chocolate into pieces and gently melt over a pan of simmering water in a heatproof bowl. Whilst the chocolate it melting, use this time to measure out the sugar and the extra virgin olive oil.
3. Once melted, take off the heat and leave to cool (but not set). Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks with a hand whisk until combined and slightly paler in colour.
4. Add a good pinch of salt to the melted chocolate and give it a good mix before tasting (to get the balance of salt right you need to keep tasting the chocolate). Once salted, beat the olive oil straight into the melted chocolate using an electric hand whisk on a slow setting. Add the oil in a steady, slow stream until your chocolate is lovely and glossy. Add the egg yolks slowly along with a tablespoon of brandy and whisk again, put to one side.
5. In your standing mixer, whisk the egg whites on a high speed until you have white soft peaks. Turn the speed down slightly and add the sugar a tablespoon at a time until incorporated. On a medium speed, beat a third of the chocolate mixture into the egg whites before folding the rest of the chocolate in by hand using a metal spoon (try not to over beat as you’ll knock the air out of the mousse).
6. Pour into four ramekins and chill for at least 3 hours before serving topped with a little sea salt.
If you’ve had a go at making any of my recipes, I’d love to hear from you. Follow me now @corrieheale and tag your recipe pictures using #corriesrabbitfood.
V– Vegetarian Gf– Gluten free
*The Green & Black’s Organic 70% dark chocolate I use in this recipe is gluten free but some other brands may not be. Always check the label.