As it’s Chinese New Year, I thought I’d have a go at making my family’s favourite Chinese takeaway meal – beancurd in black bean sauce. Having only ever used black bean sauce from a packet, I was determined to try and make it myself but was doubtful I’d find fermented black beans in my local Sainsbury’s, but I did! I stumbled across it in the World Foods isle. They looked a bit weird so bought ready-made black bean sauce too just in case. If you can’t find fermented black beans, you can order them by clicking here or simply replace with a jar of ready-made black bean sauce.
I remember my dad not being a fan of the green pepper in this dish (he used to pick them out and moan every time we got a takeaway) but I like a touch of bitterness so have kept them in – sorry dad! Happy Chinese New Year!
Bean curd in black bean sauce
Serves 2 / Hands on time 40 mins / Total time 40 mins / V Vn Df
You’ll need: Food processor, kitchen roll, wok or large frying pan
Black bean sauce
2 tbs fermented black beans in chilli, washed and sieved
2 tbs dry sherry
2 tbs light soy sauce
4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
½ red chilli, de-seeded and chopped (optional)
1 red pepper, de-seeded and sliced
1 green pepper, de-seeded and sliced
6 spring onions, sliced
280g firm tofu, drained
2 tsp sesame oil
Handful fresh coriander leaves, chopped
Brown basmati rice to serve
1. Drain the tofu and lay the block on some layered kitchen roll. Cover in a few more pieces of kitchen roll and place something heavy heavy on top of it whilst you make the sauce.
2. To make the black bean sauce, put all the ingredients in a food processor and blitz until combined – be careful not to over blitz as you want the sauce to keep a bit of texture. Put to one side.
3. Add a tsp of sesame oil in a wok over a medium to high heat. Remove the heavy object from the tofu and cut into cubes. Fry the tofu in the wok for about 5 mins stirring continually until golden brown. Line a large bowl with kitchen roll and tip the tofu into it before sprinkling with salt.
4. Add another tsp of oil to the wok and add the sliced peppers along with the spring onions. Fry for a couple mins before adding the black bean sauce and the tofu. Stir fry together for 5 minutes until the vegetables are cooked and the tofu warmed through.
5. Serve topped with chopped spring onions and coriander.
If you’ve had a go at making any of my recipes, I’d love to hear from you. Follow me now @corrieheale and tag your recipe pictures using #corriesrabbitfood.
V – Vegetarian Vn – Vegan. Df – Dairy free