Okay so I was supposed to make Thai green curry but the curry I made turned into watery green slop so Jamie and I ate that, you can have churros.
Have you ever actually tried to make your own doughnuts? Of course you haven’t, that would be mental, so when my friend Sam said she was making churros for dessert I just assumed she was mentally ill. Turns out I’d misdiagnosed her, she’s actually a beautiful genius armed with a packet of shop bought puff pastry. I watched in bewilderment as she lazily cut, twisted and positioned the pastry onto a baking tray… That was it! No deep frying, no piping bags, nothing, easy pease. Okay so maybe we can’t really call them churros but covered in melted butter and rolled in cinnamon sugar they taste pretty damn close. So bang out a batch of these beauties for your next swanky soirée or eat them alone in bed watching extreme angler Jeremy Wade catch river monsters… What?
Sam’s cheaty churros
Makes 12-16 / Hands on time 30 mins / Total time 40 mins / V
160g ready rolled puff pastry
2 tbs caster sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
100g Green & Black’s Organic 70% Dark Chocolate, broken into pieces
150g double cream
Pinch of sea salt
1. Preheat an oven to 200°C/180°C fan/400°F/gas mark 6. Line a couple of baking trays with baking paper and put to one side.
2. Roll out the pastry and cut into strips and then cut the strips in half. One at a time give them a twist and place evenly on the baking trays a finger apart.
3. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Meanwhile, melt the butter over a low heat in a small saucepan and transfer to a small bowl. In another small bowl, mix together the sugar and the cinnamon ready for dusting later.
5. Once the churros are golden brown, transfer to a couple of large plates. Brush them all with butter and dust with plenty of cinnamon sugar.
6. To make the chocolate sauce heat the cream in a medium sized saucepan. Once simmering, take off the heat and leave to stand for a few minutes to cool slightly. Whisk in the chocolate pieces until you have a silky smooth chocolate sauce. Pour into a dipping bowl and serve immediately.
If you’ve had a go at making my churros or any of my other recipes I’d love to hear about it @corrieheale firstname.lastname@example.org