Now, I know it’s the New Year and you’re all busy quaffing smoothies from your Nutribullets but lets take a break and have some breakfast yeah? Everyone knows breakfast is the best time of day to eat cheese… Probably.
Anyway, admittedly I’ve been on a health kick too, my wine paunch has alarmingly turned into a wine gut over the festive season, something had to be done. Although it’s the 8th of January and I’ve already grown tired of soup, oat cakes and those annoyingly small loaves of bread, IT’S TIME TO EAT SOME DAMN CHEESE! So fuck the diet, grab the sourdough and lets have a dippy egg and cheese party. Bran flakes can wait.
Potted Swiss Eggs
Serves 2 / Takes 25 minutes
4 large eggs
1 heaped tsp butter
1 heaped tsp white flour
60g grated Gruyere cheese plus 10g for the top
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
Quarter tsp nutmeg
Salt and pepper
Handful of chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat an oven to 180C (160C fan)
2. Finely grate the cheese and put to one side.
3. Melt the butter over and low heat and then whisk in the flour until the lumps are removed.
4. Leaving a small handful of cheese to one side, add the rest to the pan along with the milk, mustard and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper and whisk over a low heat until the sauce is smooth. Take off the heat.
5. Crack the eggs into individual ramekins and then add 3 tsp of the cheese sauce to each ramekin. Sprinkle with the remaining Gruyere, chopped parsley and season.
6. Pop them on a baking tray and bake on the middle shelf for 12-14 minutes. (The eggs will continue to cook in their little pots once they are out so don’t let them set too much. Anymore than 14 minutes and they’ll be hard).
7. Once the eggs are in the oven toast your bread and rub each slice with a garlic clove.
7. Finally, sprinkle with a tad more parsley and serve with toast. (Be careful not to touch the ramekins, they will be scratching hot. As usual, I found this out the hard way. Ouch!)
If you’ve had a go at making my eggs or any of my other recipes I’d love to hear about it. @corrieheale email@example.com