Sorry I’ve been a little neglectful food chums, I’ve been on holiday… Okay so I haven’t been on holiday but I’ve been extremely busy sunning myself in pub beer gardens with my boyfriend. Yes I now have a boyfriend, and yes he is real, and yes he is called Jamie, and yes he plays the harmonica. Now enough with your incessant questions!
Anyway, now the weather’s decided to be a bum hole I thought I’d cheer us all up with something lovely and chocolatey, like these chocolate bites Jamie made me a few weeks ago. I loved them so much, I decided to try and pass them off as my own at my friend Rosie’s baby shower. Good job I did, as without them I would have turned up completely empty handed. I know this sounds stupid but I didn’t know you were supposed to bring gifts to a baby shower. I know, I am an idiot. I’ve seen enough American TV to know better but thankfully I was able to hide behind the chocolate until I could redeem myself with a trip to Kath Kidson the following week. Phew!
Jamie’s chocolate nutty bites
Makes 1 slab / Hands on time 20 mins/ Total time 20 mins + 2 hours to chill / V Gf
300g *Green & Black’s Organic 70% Dark Chocolate
3 egg whites
3 tbs runny honey
200g ground almonds
50g hazelnuts, skins removed
200g icing sugar
Crème fraîche to serve (optional)
1. Line an 18cm round flan dish or cake tin with cling film. Melt the 300g of dark chocolate in a large heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
2. Lightly whisk the egg whites in a large clean bowl for 2 minutes – you just want to break them up rather than whisk them to a peak. Add the honey and whisk once more to incorporate.
3. Fold in the ground almonds with a large metal spoon and mix to a paste, then fold in the hazelnuts and walnuts. Stir in the icing sugar before very gently folding in the melted chocolate.
4. Pour the mixture into the tin, fold the cling film over the mixture and press everything down until smooth. Set aside in the fridge for 2 hours.
5. Cut into bite sized chunks, sprinkle with more icing sugar and serve with a cup of tea. Alternatively cut into slices and serve as a dessert with a dollop of crème fraîche.
If you’ve had a go at making Jamie’s chocolate bites or any of my recipes I’d love to hear about it. @corrieheale email@example.com
V– Vegetarian Gf– Gluten free
*The Green & Black’s Organic 70% dark chocolate I use in this recipe is gluten free but some other brands may not be. Always check the label.