Tofu and Tender stem broccoli
(Takes 20 minutes)
100g tender stem broccoli
400g firm tofu
Small onion finely chopped
1 garlic clove finely chopped
2 tsp miso paste
1 tsp chilli paste or gochujang (gochujang is a Korean fermented chilli paste you can find in most Asian supermarkets. If you can’t don’t worry, a couple of drops of Tabasco should do the trick or just add a bit of fresh red chilli).
1 tbs soy sauce
1/2 tsp caster sugar
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
1. Drain the tofu and cut into cubes. Bring a large pan to the boil and carefully add the tofu. Boil for 3 minutes. (This ironically removes a lot of the tofu’s moisture). Lift out the tofu with a slotted spoon and pop in a colander, keep the water.
2. In the remaining water, boil the broccoli for 5 minutes, drain and set aside.
3. In a small bowl combine the soy sauce, miso, sugar and chili paste and put to one side.
4. Finely chop the onion and fry it in a large frying pan with the sesame oil on a medium heat. Once brown, add the chopped garlic and continue to cook for a further couple of minutes. If it’s getting too hot add a couple tablespoons of water to prevent it from burning.
5. Add the tofu and brown for a further few minutes. Add your paste and carefully coat the tofu for the next few minutes. Add another tsp of soy sauce and stir in. Finely incorporate the steamed broccoli and cook for a further 2 minutes.