First of all, couscous is nothing like quinoa so stop that! Couscous is semolina granules made from crushed durum wheat. No one knows what quinoa is.
Anyway, I LOVE couscous, especially for lunch so I make this recipe quite a lot. It’s also cheap which is good because I appear to have misplaced all of my money. I swear I used to have some, maybe it ran away?
Right I won’t bang on, it’s Friday night, we should all be out frolocking and getting jolly drunk. However, I’m the sado who stayed in to write her blog, watch the Office and drink hot chocolate like a reclusive old bint… My evening was actually rather pleasant, until I thought the apron hanging up on the kitchen door was a ghost and scared the living shit out of me.
Herb & Rocket Couscous with Feta
Serves 4 / Takes 20 minutes / V
Make it vegan: Leave out the feta cheese
250ml Vegetable stock
1 Medium onion, finely chopped
1/4 tsp cumin
2 handfuls of crushed walnuts
3 Spring onions, chopped
70g bag of rocket
200g Feta cheese, crumbled
100g Fresh coriander, roughly chopped
50g Fresh mint, roughly chopped
1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
1. Pour your couscous in a large bowl and cover with the vegetable stock, give it a little mix with a fork making sure all the couscous is moist, cover the bowl with cling film and put to one side.
2. Spray a saucepan with spray oil and pop in your chopped onion. Fry on a medium to low heat for a few minutes, (add a dash of water to stop the onions from burning). Sprinkle in a quarter tsp of cumin and a quarter teaspoon of salt. Leave to sweat on a low heat until cooked. Put to one side to cool.
3. Roughly chop the corrainder (including the stalks) and roughly chop the mint (including the stalks although discard the hard bottom stems). Squash the herbs into a food processor along with 1 tbs of extra virgin olive oil. Blitz until you have a herb paste.
4. Take the cling film off your couscous and start raking at it with a fork until the couscous is nice and loose. Add your herb paste and continue to rake until combined.
5. Add the cooled onions, walnuts, spring onions and give it a good mix. Add the rocket (a handful at a time and continue to mix). Crumble in the feta and season well with salt and pepper.
If you’ve had a go at making my couscous or any of my other recipes I’d love to hear about it. @corrieheale firstname.lastname@example.org